News

LATEST NEWS

Search

SEARCH

Google

Web www.howwood.com

VISITORS

No of Visits to this site since 1st January 2003

Community Council Meeting Minutes 2007

MINUTES OF MEETING HELD ON TUESDAY 12 JUNE 2007

PRESENT

Nick Walker (Chair), Andrew Wilson (Secretary), Christine Scarsbrook, Jackie Mackenzie, Grace Weir, Robert Scarsbrook (Vice Chair), Margie Stewart, Douglas Paxton, David McKie

IN ATTENDANCE

PC Tracy Knox-McLean, Sharon McLarnon, Gillian McLarnon, Councillor John Caldwell, Councillor Iain McMillan, Councillor Tracie McGee

APOLOGIES

Linda Smith, Bill David (Treasurer), Norma David, Tom Purse, PC Andrew MacLeman, Councillor John Hood

WELCOME AND INTRODUCTIONS

Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting and introductions were made.  This meeting was the first opportunity for the newly elected Councillors (Cllrs) for this Ward to attend HCC.  Chair expressed appreciation at attendance by the Cllrs.  Cllrs complimented HCC on the clarity of the minutes.

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING

The Minutes of the 08.05.2007 meeting were adopted – Proposed by Grace Weir and Seconded by Jackie Mackenzie

POLICE REPORT
  • May 2007
    • 8 crimes/offences and 4 detections;  4 thefts (1 detected) 1 Road Traffic Act (detected) 2 breach of the peace (1 detected) 1 misuse of drugs and theft of fish (detected),
  • Points raised
    • It was noted that new 30 mph speed activated signs had been installed in the village at either end of Beith Road. A question was asked regarding the effectiveness of the signs and the general view was that the signs do make drivers aware of their speed especially at first encounter with the signs.
    • The recent thefts included the theft of gardening equipment.  Villagers were reminded to lock equipment away.
    • A debriefing was given on the Public Meeting held in the Village Hall on 15 May 2007. The purpose of the meeting was to understand processes in the various areas of official responsibly regarding homeless people and anti social behaviour regulation. The Secretary gave thanks to the speakers from Police, ASIST, Housing Department and the Homeless Unit and recorded appreciation for Renfrewshire Council (RC) in sending senior representatives from the various departments to the meeting.   The homeless unit issue had been resolved prior to the meeting and this news was welcomed.  Attendees gained an understanding of the difficult issues faced by the Police and RC in dealing with these matters. The main message taken away from the meeting was for the community to report all incidences of anti social behaviour.  If the authorities do not know about a problem then they cannot deal with it.
    • Advice was asked regarding how to deal with vandalism committed by very young children.  Police advised that vandalism is a criminal matter and therefore should be reported to the Police. Chair also advised that a call should also be made to ASIST.
    • Police undertook to check if there had been an increase in calls received by ASIST since the Public Meeting.
    • Police will attend the Fete, other duties permitting.
VILLAGE FETE – SATURDAY 23 JUNE 2007 AT 1PM

Progress report on Fete organisation.

  • The re-enactment society attending the Fete will now be ‘Medieval Clydesdale’ The society is to arrive by noon and be set up for 1pm.
  • Dog Show is on schedule and aims to start at 1pm with the fun competition following at 2:30pm
  • Kilbarchan Pipe Band to set up in the middle of the stalls area and play from c2 – 2:30pm.
  • Football competition arrangements are under control.  Expected kick off is 1pm.  Pitch lining is still to be organised. Cllr IMcM advised that good contact in RC regarding pitch is Kenny MacLeod.
  • Burgers and rolls on order.  Burger stall volunteers are AW, DMcK and Pam McKie.  BBQ is available from BD. Agreement to purchase an additional BBQ if required.
  • Bar licence is in place.  Volunteers for bar duties are NW and LS.
  • Door and raffle sales volunteers are GW and Caroline Connie.  Request for pens to be left at door for raffle sales.
  • Raffle sales well underway. Prizes, monies and counterfoils to be given to GW in advance of the Fete.
  • Fete set up will commence at 9am and volunteers were identified for this task.
  • Bouncy Castles to be set up by 12:45pm.  Volunteers include DP, TMcG, and G McLarnon.
  • AW to contact LS regarding cash float.
Village Fete Cont…
  • RS, CS and BD to act as monitors for the Fete and assist others were required.

  • Donations for the bottle stall being run by HWW to be given to Jean Peddie

  • Stall bookings well advanced with 12 confirmed. Bowling Club request for bottle stall revisited and decision to reject the request was confirmed as Howwood Wildlife and Woodlands (HWW) had already been granted permission to run a bottle stall. Suggestions for alternative fund raising activity for the Bowling Club were discussed.  DP to contact the Club to advise.

  • DP advised that arrangement for the ice cream van have fallen through.  Alternative company will be contacted.  Agreed 25 donation for attendance.

  • The tea room will be run by Church of Scotland this year.

  • 30 tables will be required.  AW to contact Village Hall and Lochwinnoch regarding availability of tables.

  • Pick up truck has been organised.

  • Food hygiene was discussed and DP kindly undertook to investigate requirements.  A number of contacts who have Food Hygiene Certificates were identified and will be requested to assist at the burger stall.  DP will also investigate availability and cost of future Food Hygiene training courses.

  • Volunteers running the Bouncy Castles confirmed as having the required ‘Disclosure’.

  • Cllr IMcM advised on grant funding applications for community events for future reference.

  • Parking arrangements discussed.  Hope to have access at the old Carsewood House site but this has yet to be confirmed.

  • Qualified First Aider will be GW.

  • Agreement to decorate the Triangle in the run up to the Fete.

  • Quiz Night is Tuesday 19 June 2007 at Midton Bowling Club starting 7:30pm.  All welcome to attend this fun evening.

  • The Wind Band Concert will be held in the Church of Scotland on 15 June 2007.  Ticket sales on track.  Arrangements for the evening were discussed and duties agreed.

PLANNING
Pet Crematorium – Land at Midton Wood, Midton Road

Copy of developer’s environmental impact report received by local resident.  Copy to be forwarded to Cllrs.

House in Howwood Inn Car Park

No update

New Application For Change Of Use – Dreadnought Buildings

Application expected for change of use from a dwelling house to a child nursery.  Positive views expressed pending receipt of the planning application but tempered with concern over parking and traffic.  General discussion on road traffic issues and lack of safe crossing places.  Secretary will communicate with CCs if there is a need to respond before next meeting.  Discussion on Planning regulations and associated timing issues.

Friends of the Earth Workshop

AW and RS attended the workshop ‘what you should know before being consulted by planners’ held on 5 June 2007 and provided positive feedback from the event.  As a result of advice received at the workshop it is expected that Regional Councils will issue a Participation Statement.    It was noted that Community Councils will become statutory consultees for planners.

East Gavin Farm

Planning application for conversion of existing buildings into houses – no objections from HCC.

Wind Farm Lochwinnoch

A pubic consultation meeting was held 8 June 2007 at the Village Hall by Wind Hydrogen Limited. Chair provided feedback from the event.   There was a small turnout perhaps due to the short notice given by Wind Hydrogen.  Plans are now for a smaller number, 24, of wind turbines.  Planning application to North Ayrshire Council is imminent.  Two key questions were not addressed by Wind Hydrogen at the meeting – Why are they seeking to install wind turbines in a Regional Park and what is the environmental impact upon the peat bog area?   It was noted that there is currently a moratorium upon land based wind energy installations per Scotland’s new First Minister.  The meeting was reminded that HCC have a position statement on the matter of wind energy installations within Regional Parks.

Planning Aid AGM

Unable to attend.

ENVIRONMENT
Rubbish and Compost Collection

No new problems with waste collections reported.  Remove this item from the agenda.

Public Waste Bins

Letters regarding the need for new bins have been received from Howwood Primary School environment group. These were passed round at the meeting and the group was thanked for their contribution.

The bin at the park does not appear to be emptied on a regular basis.  Cllrs were asked for assistance with this matter.

Grass Cutting

Frustration expressed at the lack of tidying up by RC after cutting grass in public areas.  Cllrs advised that this may be as a result of cost containment measures but that they would continue to highlight this common concern.

Environment Cont...
Annual Bulb Planting

Agreement to plant spring bulbs again this year.  Budget agreed for 250 in line with 2006 costs.  Details of arrangement will be advised at a later meeting.

Park Consultation Evening

A consultation event was held on Wednesday 30 May 2007 at the Howwood Inn for villagers and interested parties to air opinions and to generate ideas for upgrading the park.  Secretary provided an update to the meeting.  RC has been asked for views and feasibility of introducing a multi sports area rather than just a football pitch.  Cllrs to be copied into correspondence.  Cllrs initial view is that timing of any change to the football area might not be a good idea in light of the temporary closure of an area at the St James’ pitches in Paisley.

HWW Walks

RS updated the meeting on the previous HWW walk and advised that the next walk will be the Blue Route, weather permitting, on Sunday 29 July 2007.  Meet at Triangle at 1pm.   New posters will in distributed around the village to advertise the walks. 

INFORMATION / WEB  
Web
  • There were19,500 visits to the website in May.
  • New amenities have been added to the site.
  • Request for time sensitive press materials to be received on time but within the policy guideline of the Gazette i.e. on time for web publication on the Wednesday or Thursday.
  • The new look web site is reaching an advanced stage.  Outline of the new look will be provided at the next meeting.
  • Reluctantly the guest book is to be removed due to the ongoing challenge of keeping it free of ‘spam’
  • Request for access 2006 fete photographs for dog club.  DMcK to check.
OTHER MATTERS ARISING
  • Scottish Evening, Fiddlers – AW to confirm fiddlers for the event.  Date set for Scottish Evening of  23 February 2008.
  • Roads Update -  An update on the outstanding Roads matters has been received from RC Head of Roads.  Additional roads matters were also raised at the meeting.
    • Speed activated signs – now installed
    • Rubbish at Midton Road burn – this was not the work of RC.  It is thought that the work may have been carried out by the landowner.  It appears that the landowner will have to be pursued regarding the clear up.
    • Gritting at Upper Midton Road – Maintenance Department asked to state why the route was changed and whether or not this route will be reinstated.
    • Bus shelter seating at the shelter near the Post Office – seating has been ordered.
    • Howwood Village Shop parking area Main Street – yellow line restrictions options paper is  being drafted for consideration by HCC.
    • Traffic Orders around the Triangle – still to be pursued.
    • Kilnknowe Cottages / Midton Road traffic speeding issue was raised with RC by Cllrs.  Response from RC is awaited.
  • WaterWatch event - Carried forward to next meeting.
  • Bus Routes - Gillens - Secretary wrote to the Traffic Commissioner on 22 May 2007 but there has been no reply to date.  Address for the Commissioner to be checked.   Problems with the route continue to be reported.  Villagers requested to provide Secretary with details of bus number and time if reporting problems.
CORRESPONDENCE
  • Community Planning Conference, sharing good practice (Perth 26 June 2007) - Contact the Secretary for details.
  • Howwood Church of Scotland - School Holiday Club. - The Church will again run a holiday club this year and requested a donation to help with expenses.  Agreement to donate 250.
COUNCILLORS’ REPORT
  • Cllr IMcM noted from previous minutes that funding of additional dog bins was an issue and advised that an application for grant funding should be considered.
  • Cllr IMcM gave an overview of intended future attendance at CC meetings and the challenges faced in attending all meetings. The Cllr stated that he looked forward to working with the CC and the other three elected representatives for this Ward.  This was endorsed by Cllr TMcG and Cllr JC.
  • Individual Cllrs outlined their plans for holding regular surgeries in Howwood.  Details will be published shortly.
A.O.C.B.
School Board

GW advised that School Boards have now been disbanded but are to be replaced by School Councils.  Details of the School Council remit will not be known until the new term in September 2007.

Tom Purse Resignation

Tom wrote to the Chair expressing regret that due to erratic work patterns he felt that he could no longer be an active CC member.  Tom wished the CC well in all their endeavours.  Chair thanked Tom for his letter and hoped that Tom would continue to support the CC, work permitting.

HCC AGM

Agreement to hold the AGM on a Friday evening mid October 2007 in place of the regular meeting.  Details will be provided at a later meeting.

NEXT MEETING

Tuesday 10 July 2007 at 7:30 pm Howwood Village Hall

Thereafter, second Tuesday monthly – 14 August 2007 (Scott Allen RC, Roads to attend), 11 September 2007, AGM October 2007, 13 November 2007 etc.

Contact Details
  • Aircraft Noise Telephone line
    :
    0141 848 4644 (answer machine)
  • Antisocial Behaviour Help Line
    :
    0800 169 1283
  • Dog Warden, Michelle Knox
    :
    0141 840 3164
  • Glasgow Wind Band, R & C Scarsbrook
    :
    01505 704083 [email protected]
  • Fly Tipping
    :
    0845 230 4090
  • Minicoach Tours
    :
  • Police
    :
    01505 404000
  • Renfrewshire Council
    :
  • R.C. Roads email address
    :
  • Roads & Lighting Faults
    :
    0141 842 4466 (M-F), 0141 889 2314
  • Scottish Water Contact
    :
    0141 355 5187
  • Secretary, Andrew Wilson
    :
    01505 702392 [email protected]
  • Village Web Site
    :
  • Youth Nuisance Help Line
    :
    01505 325030

<< Back to Community Council Meeting Minutes 2007