News

LATEST NEWS

Search

SEARCH

Google

Web www.howwood.com

VISITORS

No of Visits to this site since 1st January 2003

Community Council Meeting Minutes 2006

MINUTES OF MEETING HELD ON TUESDAY 14 NOVEMBER 2006

PRESENT

Nick Walker, Robert Scarsbrook, Andrew Wilson, Christine Scarsbrook, Jackie Mackenzie, Grace Weir, Linda Smith, Douglas Paxton, Bill David

IN ATTENDANCE

PC Douglas McMillan, PC Tracy Knox-McLean, Scott Allan (Renfrewshire Council, Roads) Nan Atherton, Caitriana Phillips, Peter Phillips

APOLOGIES

Margie Stewart, Tom Purse, Norma David

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING

The Minutes of the 12.09.2006 meeting were adopted – Proposed by Andrew Wilson and Seconded by Robert Scarsbrook.

The Minutes of the AGM of 10.10.2006 were agreed in principle and will be formally adopted at next AGM.

OFFICE BEARERS

Being the first meeting after the AGM the matter of office bearers was raised. All current office bearers are willing to stand for re-election and there being no other nominations current office bearers were unanimously re-elected. Office bearers are -Nick Walker (Chair), Andrew Wilson (Secretary), Robert Scarsbrook (Vice Chair), Bill David (Treasurer) and Christine Scarsbrook (Minutes Secretary)

POLICE REPORT
  • Crime figures for Sep 2006
    • Howwood – 7 crimes with 5 detections; 1 assault , 2 speeding (detected), 1 disqualified driver (detected), 1 theft of motor vehicle, 2 theft of fish (detected)
  • Crime figures for Oct 2006
    • Howwood – 4 crimes with 1 detection; 2 vandalism, 1 theft from a motor vehicle, 1 Road Traffic Act (detected)
  • Points Raised
    • Police advised that a further car had been stolen in November. Villagers were reminded to keep vehicles locked, alarmed and in well lit areas when parked.
    • Instances of speeding along Main Street during morning peak time were advised to police
    • Instance of fly tipping at Garthland Bridge was mentioned to police
ROADS

Chair welcomed Scott Allan from Renfrewshire Council (RC) Roads to the meeting

Scott updated the meeting on items discussed at the August meeting and responded to questions and new matters raised.

Roads Safety Initiative – David Fulton has been appointed as Roads Safety contact for RC.

Community Speed Watch – Initiatives work best where there is support from the community council. There is a trial of portable speed signs being undertaken currently and dependent upon successful outcome device could be deployed in Howwood in early 2007. The sign warns motorists to slow down and from details obtained police will send a letter to offenders reminding them to slow down.

‘20s Plenty’ signage at Midton Road – initial investigation revealed that distance between the 30 limit signs and the proposed 20s Plenty signs would not allow sufficient slowing down distance for motorists. This matter will be reviewed.

Speed activated signs for Beith Road – RC have some available for installation. Howwood is on the waiting list.

New device - A Howwood villager has patented a device to both hold fast and power speed activated signs. RC is exploring the possibility of deploying such a device.

Seating for bus shelter at Post Office – seating costs in the region of £300. There is a possibility the funding might be available from STP for this in Jan 2007.

Bowfield Road Junction – RC have no answer to this ongoing issue at this time. Parking is causing an obstruction at the junction.

Flower Tubs – Proposal to install flower tubs at the gateways to the village was discussed. HCC to write to RC with details of liability insurance. Scott warned HCC to be aware of health and safety issues then installing and maintaining the tubs

Village Survey – Chair outlined the results of the village survey on questions of speeding and parking. Of the 75 villagers who responded 67 indicated that they had an issue with speeding through the village with 58 expressing a need for RC to do something about speeding traffic. The responses on parking near Dreadnaught Buildings revealed mixed results with a third indicating that there is a definite problem, a third do not have a problem and a third who sometimes have a problem. Results indicate that this parking matter is not a serious issue.

ROADS Continued

Average Speed Cameras – Scott advised that average speed cameras using new technology had been deployed in parts of Ayrshire but did not know if such technology would eventually be deployed nationwide

Road Safety – Scott advised that this is a central government matter.

Garthland Bridge – request made for information on the findings from the recent core sampling at Garthland Bride. Scott advised that no structural problems had been identified to necessitate the introduction of speed restrictions. The matter of moving the 30 speed limit sign to the lay-by was discussed and again RC expressed view that this would have little effect.

Rural Roads – Scott advised that a new initiative is expected to be undertaken regarding rural roads

Works Vans – in response to a question regarding restrictions on overnight parking by works vans Scott confirmed that there are no restrictions on parking as long as vehicles are properly parked and legal. However heavy goods vehicles and buses must be kept at a depot overnight.

White line markings Midton Road / Main Street – marking were confirmed as being give way markings.

Collapsed drain at Linister Crescent – a collapsed drain was reported and Scott agreed to investigate status and confirm if this is a Roads or Scottish Water matter.

Water pooling at Main Street bus stop opposite Post Office – this matter has been reported to Scottish Water on several occasions.

  • Chair thanked Scott for attending and looked forward to next regular update in February 2007.
  • Chair advised that RC responded to query regarding survey work at the grassed area at Kilnknowe Cottages. RC advised that this was a routine survey and that there were no plans for this area. RC would consult with residents if there were any changes planned.

ST ANDREW’S FAMILY CEILIDH – SATURDAY 25 NOVEMBER 2006 AT 6:30PM VILLAGE HALL

The Working Group reported back on progress

Continued effort is required for tickets sales

All CC members agreed to assist at the event

GW will attend Howwood School Board meeting on 16 November 2006 for update on participation by the school and to promote ticket sales

Kitchen at the Village Hall is again operational

CC members were asked to attend Hall at 12 noon on 25 November to assist with set up

Tartan materials to be given to GW or taken to Hall at 12 noon.

Vegetarian food will be available at the event

CHRISTMAS LIGHTS AT THE TRIANGLE

Scottish Power has now installed the electricity box

Funding has been received from Awards for All for £2,970. The remaining cost will be funded - £700 from RC and £2,000 from the CC. A raffle will be held to help with CC funding.

RC has confirmed that civil works are complete and the connection box is in place. Scottish Power need to make electrical join and this work is expected to be carried out at the end of November. The lights and transformers are on order. All being well the installation will be completed in December but exact date cannot be given at present.

It is proposed to hold an official lighting and carol singing event at the Triangle, tentatively for the 22 December 2006. The event will move from the Triangle to the Howwood Inn where the raffle will be drawn. Meeting was reminded that there is a legal restriction whereby children cannot be on licensed premises after 9PM. Details of the event will be published in due course.

Sponsorship for the event by local business is likely to generate funds in the region of £300 - £750. Treasurer thanked local businesses for their generous contribution and also thanked all raffle prize contributors.

Prizes for the raffle include a Christmas hamper, whisky, Bowfield Hotel and Country Club ‘Dinner For Two’ voucher and a hand crafted dolls house. Many more prizes will be available. All prizes will be delivered to winners before Christmas.

Raffle tickets have been printed and were distributed to CC members for sale.

JMack to bring dolls house to the St Andrew’s Ceilidh for display

A further fund raising event, a race night, was considered but it was agreed to postpone this event until later in 2007 due to the number of other events underway by HCC at this time.

PLANNING
Full Planning Application for Agricultural Workers House

No update on planning decision.

Outline Planning Application To Build A Pet Crematorium

Application will be raised at the November planning board. Report on planning application is available from the Secretary. Await outcome from the board.

PLANNING Continued
Thorntrees Cottage Midton Road

Owners of the cottage contacted the Secretary regarding the concerns raised at Sep HCC meeting. Owners were invited to attend this meeting to discuss the matter but did not attend. There is no update on this planning application which proposes to demolish the existing cottage and build a new home.

Planning Application Lists From RC

Electronic lists are available from planning. BD recently received a list. RS requested that he be added to the distribution list.

Wind Farm Between Lochwinnoch and Kilbirnie – Ladymoor Development

This matter was discussed at the Community Council Forum (CCF) meeting held on 31October 2006.

Presentations from both the Lochwinnoch Action Group and Wind Hydrogen Limited were made at the CCF. Chair reported back to the meeting

Planning application is due to be submitted in April 2007 for a reduced number of turbines and the hydrogen factory. The number of wind turbines planned has been reduced to 24 meaning that planning application may be submitted to regional councils and not Scottish Executive.

Only 5 villagers responded to the HCC wind farm opinion survey last spring – 3 against, 1 for and 1 neutral.

There is a need to have a response ready for the planning application. Chair distributed a draft position statement on wind farm development which is to be considered by members and discussed at the next meeting.

ENVIRONMENT
Rubbish and Compost Collection

Concern at non collection of rubbish and compost bins last week.

Secretary contacted RC and was advised that compost would be collected on 16 Nov 2006. Secretary will contact RC again seeking an explanation for this lapse and to ascertain if an additional collection will be made this year

Bulb Planting

The annual bulb planting was a success. AW thanked all who helped

Village Clean Up

In preparation for next village clean up in the spring it was agreed to purchase rubbish picking tools at a cost of £220.

Dog Bin/ Litterbin in Park

Litterbin now installed.

Other Environmental Matter

Other environmental matters carried forward to next meeting

INFORMATION / WEB
Web

Carried forward to next meeting

OTHER MATTERS ARISING
  • Remembrance Day – A good turnout again this year. Chair thanked all who attended and in particular thanked the Guides, Brownies, Rangers and Rainbows. Special thanks to Alexis for last post and reveille, Morvern for the pipes and to Rev David Stewart for conducting the service.
  • Fruits of Faith – Chair thanked all who helped at this event
  • New Shop – The new shop is thought to be a general store. Opening shortly.
  • Accounts & Signatories – Copy of audited accounts has been send to Alex Hewetson. BD is to check if LS is recorded as a signatory.
  • Fete 2007 – Date of Fete is Saturday 23 June 2007. An update was provided by JMack. £400 spend was agreed for bouncy castle type attractions. The attractions come with public liability insurance. There will be a battle enactment group providing entertainment at the fete. The enactment group also have public liability insurance. Kilbarchan Pipe Band and will also entertain at the fete.
  • Community Planning – No one attended last meeting. Details of next meeting to be advised.
  • Village Hall and Kitchen – Gas cooker now operational. Electric heated cabinet was deemed unsafe and has been removed.
  • Citizens’ Advice Bureau – BD will attend next meeting due on 15 Nov 2006.
  • Letter to Cllr Nimmo – Item now dropped from agenda.
  • ASCC AGM – AW & NW attended the AGM and updated this meeting – Membership of ASCC is thought to be worthwhile. Changes to the constitution were discussed and passed at the AGM. Details of the meeting are available from the Chair.
CORRESPONDENCE

As per the Agenda

  • Guides - Request for financial support – A £50 donation was agreed.
  • Playgroup – Request for financial support – This group is a registered charity. A £200 donation was agreed.
  • Cairn HA – Villagers are advised that sheltered housing is available in Paisley. Details are available from the Secretary.
  • Planning Aid – Arts Project workshop is being held in Edinburgh on 30 November 2006. AW will attend.
  • Trish Godman MSP – Letter advised that a meeting on antisocial behaviour with Hugh Henry MSP (Deputy Justice Minister) will be held at Rashilea Primary School, Paisley on 20 November 2006 at 6:30 PM. GW will attend. Note: letter was received before Hugh Henry MSP changed portfolio to Education.
  • BAA Airport Development Road Show – Road Show will be held on 28 Nov 2006 between 6:30 and 8:30 pm. If anyone wishes to attend details are available from Secretary. BD indicated possible attendance.
  • RC – Consultation on draft statement of principles in terms of the Gambling Act 2005. Deadline for consultation is 15 December 2006. Details from the Secretary. LS wishes to see paper. Response required by next meeting.

A.O.C.B.
  • Scotways Annual Report – available from the Secretar
  • Postwatch Scotland Report – available from the Secretary
NEXT MEETING

Tuesday 12 December 2006 at 7:30 pm Howwood Village Hall.

Thereafter, second Tuesday monthly - 9 January 2007, 13 February 2007, 13 March 2007, 10 April 2007, 8 May 2007 etc.

Contact Details Raised At Meetings
  • Police 01505 404000
  • Fly Tipping 08452 30 40 90
  • Antisocial Behaviour Help line 0800 169 1283
  • Youth Nuisance Help line 01505 325030
  • Renfrewshire Council 0141 842 5000
  • Roads & Lighting Faults 0141 842 4466 (M – F) 0141 889 2314
  • Dog Warden, Michelle Knox 0141 840 3164
  • Secretary, Andrew Wilson 01505 702 392
  • Village Web site www.howwood.com
  • Responses to Wind Farm Survey [email protected]

<< Back to Community Council Meeting Minutes 2006