News

LATEST NEWS

Search

SEARCH

Google

Web www.howwood.com

VISITORS

No of Visits to this site since 1st January 2003

Community Council Meeting Minutes 2006

MINUTES OF MEETING HELD ON TUESDAY 12 DECEMBER 2006

PRESENT

Nick Walker, Andrew Wilson, Christine Scarsbrook, Jackie Mackenzie, Grace Weir, Linda Smith, Douglas Paxton, Margie Stewart, Tom Purse, David McKie

IN ATTENDANCE

PC Tracy Knox-McLean

APOLOGIES

Bill David, Norma David, Robert Scarsbrook

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING

The Minutes of the 14.11.2006 meeting were adopted – Proposed by Andrew Wilson and Seconded by Grace Weir.

POLICE REPORT
  • Crime figures for Nov 2006
    • Howwood – 5 crimes with 4 detections; 4 Road Traffic Act offences (detected), 1 theft from breaking into school.
CHRISTMAS LIGHTS AND RAFFLE

Lights have now been switched on and feedback has been positive.

Chair thanked all who made this event possible – AW for fund raising, the Rev David Stewart for leading the carols, the Church of Scotland for laying on mince pies and teas and special thanks to Renfrewshire Council (RC) Environmental Services for their efforts and the outstanding result.

Thanks also to the local businesses for their support and contributions towards the lighting.

Switching on of the lights will become an annual event, possibly 1st Friday in December or late November at 6:30 – 7:00 pm.

Sale of raffle tickets for fund raising for the lights is ongoing. CC members were encouraged to sell as many tickets as possible.

Owners of Howwood Inn kindly agreed to host a carol singing evening with mulled wine and mince pies on Friday 22 December 2006 commencing 7:00 pm. Accompanied children are welcome up to the 9:00 pm licensing deadline

The raffle draw will take place at Howwood Inn during the carol singing evening.

ST ANDREW’S FAMILY CEILIDH

The event took place on 25 November 2006. Feedback was very positive.

Chair thanked the working group for their efforts in organising this event and all who assisted on the evening.

Special thanks to the Jiggers who provided the music and to Howwood Primary School and the J&D School of Dance for the excellent entertainment.

Financial account for the event is yet to be confirmed by the treasurer but a small surplus is expected.

Proposal for a further Ceilidh in late November 2007.

SCOTTISH EVENING

Proposal for this popular event for our senior villagers to take place on Saturday 17 February 2007 subject to confirmation of village hall and band availability.

A Working Group consisting of CS, LS, JMack, GW and AW was set up to coordinate the event

AW to check availability of fiddle group for the event.

Budget for the event to be confirmed.

VILLAGE FETE – SATURDAY 23 JUNE 2007

Update on progress

  • Bouncy Castles have been booked. Cost is within budget.
  • Arrangements for a second annual concert by the Glasgow Wind Band are progressing with a date set for Friday 15 June 2007. Thanks to Rev David Stewart and the Church of Scotland for agreeing use of the Church to hold the event. Details for the event will be progressed with the Band and the Church in early 2007.
  • The Glasgow Wind Band will be holding a festive concert in Hyndland Parish Church on 19 December 2006. Contact CS for further information and tickets.
  • Proposal to organise a Fun Run during the run up to the Fete. CS to progress.

ENVIRONMENT
Village Clean Up – 24 & 25 March 2007

In preparation for next village clean up in the spring it was agreed at the last meeting to purchase rubbish picking tools at a cost of £220. However a cheaper option has now been identified. BD to progress.

Rubbish and Compost Collection

The Secretary wrote to RC on 16 November 2006 regarding villagers concerns about non collection of rubbish. To date there has been no reply. This matter will be raised with Chief Executive of RC, Cllr Mullen and Alex Hewetson.

Brown Bin compost collection now finished for the season.

Rubbish collection still continues to be a problem in some areas of the village.

Mayfield Wasteland

The meeting was advised that an Enforcement Order has been issued by RC to the joint owners of the land. The Order requires that the land be brought up to the standard approved by RC. Remedial work must be carried out within a specified 12 month period. Copy of the report is available from the Secretary.

SUSTRANS (Access to Cycle Track)

SRANI (South Renfrewshire Access Network Initiative) propose to complete one section of the route from Station across the river to the Scottish Water access road. A condition for access near the Temple is that pathway must be a grassed area in consideration of farming requirements in this area. It was agreed that access for prams would be difficult at this location.

Talks with SRANI and land owners to improve access to the cycle path are ongoing.
Howwood Wildlife & Woodlands Walk

The next walk will be on Saturday 06 January 2007 via Roebank, pending prior inspection and prevailing weather conditions.

Green Bins in Park

Bins have been in place for six weeks but as yet have not been emptied. Secretary to progress.

INFORMATION / WEB
Web
  • Refresh of web site will take time. Hope to start the work early 2007.
  • Congratulations on content of the web site were received from Secretary of Community Councils in Scotland. Considered to be an excellent example of community involvement.
  • Photographs of the ceilidh now on the web site.
Newsletter
  • Next newsletter is being planned for a late January 2007 distribution date. Topics for inclusion are Fete, Scottish Evening and Village Clean Up. Articles for inclusion should be sent or emailed to the Secretary.
PLANNING
Mid Gavin Nursery

Planning permission for use of extension for the nursery was won on appeal subject to a counter appeal by RC.

Thorntrees Cottage Midton Road

Planning permission to demolish the building and build a new home has been granted.
Outline Planning Application To Build A Pet Crematorium

Application has been withdrawn.

Meteorological Masts

An objection to the erection of two masts was lodged with North Ayrshire Council. Application was granted.

Wind Farming

There is a need to have a response ready for any planning application. Chair distributed a draft position statement on wind farm development at the last meeting. Chair to email draft to members not in attendance at the last meeting. A decision needs to be taken on this matter at the next meeting.

Application for six wind turbines in the Dalry area some of which are within the Muirshiel Park. Agreement to object to North Ayrshire Council regarding the turbines within the Park in line with draft position statement.

OTHER MATTERS ARISING
  • New Shop – The general store, will open on 13 December 2006. Opening times are, initially, 7am to 9pm Monday to Saturday and 10am to 6pm on Sunday.
  • Accounts & Signatories – Carried forward to next meeting
  • Citizens’ Advice Bureau – Carried forward to next meeting
  • Planning Aid Workshop – AW attended this worthwhile event
  • Antisocial Behaviour Meeting, Hugh Henry MSP – GW attended on behalf of HCC and reported back. Meeting was poorly attended, 7 people and was of no value as nothing constructive emerged.
  • Glasgow Airport Development - Road Show – Defer to next meeting. Copy of presentation materials is available from the Secretary.
  • RC Consultation on licensing procedure and Gambling Act 2005 – Reviewed by Secretary. No comments to be made.
CORRESPONDENCE

As per the Agenda

  • ASCC – Request for an area representative. Secretary to ascertain membership of ASCC before decision is made.
  • SNH Annual Report – Available from the Secretary.
  • Health Council Newsletter – Available from the Secretary
  • Sports & Hobbies – Request for financial assistance. Sports & Hobbies group advised that RC can no longer fund the hire of the Village Hall at a cost of £40 per week, for use by the Sports & Hobbies group. Meeting expressed great disappointment at the lack of funding for this group who have some 50 young people enjoying the activities each week. Secretary will provide Sports & Hobbies with details of possible funding sources but in the meantime HCC agreed to donate £300 to tide the group over the next two months. Funding level proposed by DP and seconded by LS. Annual Accounts for the group are available and will be requested by the Secretary.
A.O.C.B.

Complaint regarding the poor condition of part of the Howwood to Barrhead road near Greenacres Curling Club. – The road has been improved from the Howwood side up to boundary between East Renfrewshire Council area. HCC will seek advice from Scott Allan RC Roads on this matter.

NEXT MEETING

Tuesday 9 January 2007 at 7:30 pm Howwood Village Hall

Thereafter, second Tuesday monthly - 13 February 2007, 13 March 2007, 10 April 2007, 8 May 2007 etc.

Contact Details Raised At Meetings
  • Police 01505 404000
  • Fly Tipping 08452 30 40 90
  • Antisocial Behaviour Help line 0800 169 1283
  • Youth Nuisance Help line 01505 325030
  • Renfrewshire Council 0141 842 5000
  • Roads & Lighting Faults 0141 842 4466 (M – F) 0141 889 2314
  • Dog Warden, Michelle Knox 0141 840 3164
  • Secretary, Andrew Wilson 01505 702 392
  • Village Web site www.howwood.com
  • Responses to Wind Farm Survey [email protected]

<< Back to Community Council Meeting Minutes 2006